top of page

Carers Allowance - Powys County Council

Unpaid carers in Powys - those people looking after someone with a health condition or disability - are being encouraged to make sure that they are claiming the Carers Allowance if they are eligible.
Powys County Council has put the call out to support those people who are carrying out this extremely valuable role.
Dylan Owen is Head of Commissioning with the council. He explained: "We believe that some unpaid carers in Powys are not claiming the Carers Allowance of £67.25 per week at the moment and they may be entitled to do so."
Mr Owen explained that to qualify for the benefit, unpaid carers must fulfil the following criteria:
  • The person you care for must be getting a qualifying benefit, such as Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payments, Attendance Allowance, Constant Attendance Allowance or the Armed Forces Independent Payment;

  • You need to be providing care for at least 35 hours per week. If you provide fewer hours of care, you may be able to claim Carers Credit - a scheme to support National Insurance contributions;

  • You need to be earning less than £128 after tax and some expenses;

  • You must be aged over 16;

  • You must not be in full time education;

  • You need to have lived in the UK for two out of the last three years.

He added: "If you think you may be entitled to this allowance, please get in touch with our colleagues at Credu, who are commissioned by this council to support carers in Powys. They will have specialist knowledge of the allowance and will be able to advise you accordingly."

For advice around Carers Allowance or any other support you may need as a Young Adult Carer or Adult Carer, please don't hesitate to get in touch: / 01597 823800

2 views0 comments


bottom of page